Information to Landlords

Is your property ready to let?

With an increasing amount of changes to regulations happening within the property sector, it is hard to remember exactly what is required to successfully and most importantly, legally rent out your property. Thankfully, OHL Properties knowledge is on hand to ensure your property is up to date and ready for its first Tenants.

What is required? What is this? How often should I renew/check this? Do I need this legally?
EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) An EPC gives your property an energy efficiency rating and its environment impact based on lighting, heating and water usage, carbon dioxide emissions and how well the property preserves warmth based on build quality alongside other factors. 10 years It is a legal requirement for a property to have an EPC if you are letting it is a whole property. Individual room lets do not require an EPC however is still recommended as it can be an important factor for some tenants. We also recommend a new EPC survey to be carried out if any major structural changes have been made to the property.
Find the EPC register here
Gas Certificate A Gas Certificate is a check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect all the gas appliances in your property. The checks range from checking ventilation routes are clear to ensuring safety devices are working correctly. 12 months You must by law carry out a gas safety check every year before it expires.
EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) An EICR is a certificate following an assessment of a property’s electrical installation 5 years however this is recommended to increase based on various factors such as the age of installation, misuse of the installation, type of property ect. All new tenancies require a valid EICR from the 1st July 2020. All existing tenancies require a valid EICR from April 2021.
PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) A PAT Test is an examination of electrical appliances and equipment to check for any electrical defects. PAT testing is recommended every 12 months in a rental property. Although a PAT test isn’t required by law, it is the landlord’s responsibility to provide functional electrical appliances and equipment to protect people from harm.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms A carbon monoxide alarm detects the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. It is recommended to check carbon monoxide detectors once a month and any replaceable batteries should be replaced every 6 months. Carbon monoxide alarms are required to be installed in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance however are generally recommended to be installed as a rule of thumb. Properties are required to follow the
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulations
Smoke Alarms A smoke alarm detects the presence of smoke in the air to typically notify the presence of a fire. It is recommended to check fire alarms on a monthly basis or at the beginning of every new tenancy. A smoke alarm is required on each floor of the property and you are by law required to maintain them. Properties are required to follow the
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulations
HMO License For properties to be let out as an HMO (House of Multiple Occupation), landlords are required to apply with the local council for it be licensed. 5 years An HMO license is required to be renewed every 5 years and is applicable when your property:
  • Is rented out to 5 or more people who are classed as being from more than 1 household
  • There are shared bathroom, toilet or kitchen facilities
  • At least one tenant pays rent.
Your property cannot be rented out without a license.

For more information on whether your property is ready to rent contact us for more information